Tuesday 30 October 2012

Damned If You Do; Damned....

It's long been a CV cliché that people might get rejected for roles when they are considered to be overqualified; I've never really understood how one COULD be over qualified - one is or one isn't. However I've encountered another 'Catch 22'. My roles over the past few years have all been 6 month or less contract roles. While I've applied for full time roles, I've always tried to keep working to keep the money coming in. Permanent role applications often ask for a work history and to explain any gaps in employment and this is easily done as a contractor,and I've always believed it's better to demonstrate a willingness to work.

I received a comment on my CV recently where the reviewer suggested that my frequent short term roles might be held against me by a future employer where they would be looking at employees sticking around for 5 - 6 years, even though it's quite clear that these are short term contracting roles, not permanent ones. I suspect that this might be an area in which I'm not going to succeed.

Incidentally, if you're a prospective employer - my CV can be sent in an instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment