Thursday 19 January 2012

Stephen

CHILLY!!
He’d shout, when we’d meet
(And that wasn’t often)
There was such a grin on his face
And a welcome in his paw

We first met in that cold, grim place
And worked so hard to match the pace
Then. at night,  the bus to Plympton
To eat egg and chips and dhobi our denims

Later, he’d succeed and I would fail
And, after 30 miles, I'd smile from the back
As he donned the green felt
And stumbled away to faint

I saw him once (at the ferry).
We chatted, we parted.
I saw his note
And we chatted a lot more
Later, I saw him.
(I took Starbucks muffins)
We hugged as old friends do.

CHILLY!!
He yelled when we met
(And that was in Plymouth)
There was such a grin on his face
And, obviously, a pint in his paw.

Much later, came the message, the call.

3 comments:

  1. Nice remembrance for your friend Pete."A man might be thought wealthy if someone were to draw the story of his deeds, that they may be remembered."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Steve was a deeply troubled man at times, but extremely popular with everyone that knew him

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt as though I got to know him a bit from the poem, which is a lovely memorial to your friend, Peter, and well-written. That is a nice tie-back at the end of the poem to the beginning. It also gives one even more insight into Peter Chilcott. Thank you for sharing of yourself.

    ReplyDelete