Thursday 20 December 2012

Tying Up A Loose End

I last had contact with  a particular friend about 25 years ago, just as his own career was beginning to take off. We went different ways and our paths never crossed again. Both our similar careers were on the up except that one was a much steeper curve! Last year I worked out where he was (or where I thought he was) and sent him a Christmas card, and he eventually received it in February, when he wrote back to me. Well, I mislaid that note but rediscovered it this Christmas, and vowed that I would make contact again.

Well, I made that telephone call tonight. For half an hour we had an excellent  chat and compared our summarised histories. Mt friend does not seem to have changed one iota, although he has done extremely well in his career. We've agreed to meet for a beer in the New Year and, I suspect, an even longer chat.

The thing is, once we hung up, I actually felt quite good. Inwardly I was smiling, and I felt rather pleased and calm. I think it was to do with tying up a loose end - a sense of completion, albeit a small one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment