Saturday 15 December 2012

To Delete Or Not To Delete

When friends die, they leave behind them little reminders of their presence; physical items, memories, photographs, entries in address books.  When those friends are also 'friends; on social media sites, then they also leave traces there-a page, a website, an account. And like a photograph, those electronic images often pop up to jog a memory, or sit as a constant reminder in the corner of the screen.

This year, 3 people I know as friends - 2 in everyday life and one as on-line 'friend' - have died this year (2 by their own hands, sadly).And yet, I've still to delete their names from my pages and on-line address books. Much like a couple of names in an old address book I have. There's a finality in making such a move so why am I, or are we, reluctant to take such a step?

1 comment:

  1. To delete them encourages the permanency of their departure. Let them live on as long as we do.

    “Lo, there do I see my father.
    "Lo, there do I see my mother,
    and my sisters, and my brothers.
    Lo, there do I see the line of my people,
    Back to the beginning!

    Lo, they do call to me.
    They bid me take my place among them,
    In the halls of Valhalla!
    Where the brave may live forever!”

    Or until Pete delets you, whatever.., :)

    ReplyDelete