Tuesday 27 November 2012

We'll Get Back To You Soon

I suppose this is something that almost all of us have said at some time in our adult lives. It's not a great thing to say because it doesn't specify a specific time but most of the time most of us will 'get back to you'. I'm sure a minority of us (including myself) will have failed to fulfil  that undertaking and that has to be disappointing, inconvenient or even upsetting for the other party.

For my part I've been on the receiving end recently where 2 different recruitment agencies have said exactly that but have failed to follow through. One instance came after having sent my CV in to a company and after the first call heard nothing else; not an unusual situation as recruitment companies do this all the time and it's hard to sustain contact with these companies when there's nothing substantial to discuss.

The second instance came after being contacted directly and being told that there was a role coming up for which I would be a good fit and that we'd chat again in a couple of days. After a week, I asked if there had been any progress and was told, "We'll get back to you soon". Well, you can guess the rest. Of course, this is disappointing but is harder to take when opportunities, interviews and work haven't been forthcoming in some time.

It's been a lesson for me. I shall try harder in the future always to agree a specific date and always to ensure I do 'get back', knowing that if I don't I shall also be inconveniencing or disappointing someone else.

Incidentally, my LinkedIn profile can be found here. I hope you get back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment