Tuesday 4 November 2014

I Think Of That Grey Wall

I don’t care about religion
The Sin Bosun's just white noise
He drones a while, and then a pause
And soon we hear the boom.


Pipe the Still.


And I start to think….


I look around those there
There are one or two from then
They slowly age, and their numbers thin
And we will thin, will age like them


I think of him down South
With the Guards, the heat, the noise
His wounds were deep, no marks were seen
30 years and blackness took him


I think of the sandbox
The screen, Op Minimise
A half-built airport that would quieten
For a Lockheed and its passenger


I think of podviniki
Of their treacherous end
Some unnamed thugs, a syringe on screen
A widow’s fading cry


I think of that grey wall
I think of that long grey wall
So many written there, husbands, brothers, sons
Thousands more on walls elsewhere


I think of…..


Carry on.


And so that's it
Off we troop inside
And line up for our glass
All smiles and cheer for one more year















And memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment