Monday 28 November 2011

Some 3-in-1 on that career there

I've been learning - or re-learning for the umpteenth time - that it pays to stick one's head up over the parapet once in a while. There's other cliches that say the same thing such as 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'. But essentialy, if  one wants attention or wants something done then it's necessary to let people know what's needed.

This became clear in two ways, one trivial, one less so. On the trivial side, I participate in stock trading game called Empire Avenue and at one point there ewas a lot of retaliatory selling when I sold some stock. I made a comment about this on a forum and within a day my stock had been repurchased and more.

On the more important side, I'm looking for a new contract and things have been a little 'dry' shall we say, over the past few months. I posted a comment on LinkedIn about seeking help on getting my CV brought up to speed and I got a lot of advice from people. More importantly, someone emailed me to say that had they seen my CV just a day or two earlier, I would have been a great fit for a particular role. Since then, that same person has taken it upon themself to nag/mentor me and to provide advice and support, and I hope I'm responding accordingly. As well as shrpening up my LinkedIn profile, something they've made clear is that I'm not going to see a role calling for a Pete Chilcott, and that I have take a punt at a role I like and sell the brand 'Pete Chilcott'. I heard much the same from a speaker, Tobias Mews, at the Liquid List networking event. One must be the brand and thats what should be sold and sold hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment